Corrupt (Devil’s Night #1) by Penelope Douglas
- Overall: ****
- Reading Rate: ****
- Romance: ****
- Pages: 461
- Recommend if you liked: Den of Vipers, Unsainted other Penelope Douglas works
*Multiple potential triggers are present in this book
After I finished reading the first book in Douglas’ Bully series I was looking for something a little more adult so was recommended trying out her Devils Night Series…. So glad I did guys.
This book follows the stories of Michael and Erika as their worlds collide again after a fateful night in High School. But things are different now because Michael and his friends are out for revenge and Erika is enemy #1.
What I liked:
- This is marketed as romantic suspense or dark romance and my goodness I was on the edge of my seat for the entire book
- It is dark and twisty and you really have no idea if the story is going end on a high note or crash and burn. I had to know what happened next but didn’t want it to end
- It was quite “steamy” (that will be funnier after you read) and the romance and sex are on the darker side which I really enjoyed.
What I struggled with:
- I personally do not have a lot of triggers but acknowledge that this book is not for everyone and could be very triggering. The books is 100% adult and has mature themes throughout even though it bounces back and forth from high school to college.
- The thing that kept me from giving the books five stars was that as the reader seeing both sides of the story we were clearly able to see the major flaw with the revenge plot line of the book. Its a personal pet peeve of mine where issues are created in a book solely because characters fail to communicate but without that element there would be no story so I am only a tiny bit mad at it.
P.S. The entire series is available on Kindle Unlimited for ebooks and Scribd for audiobooks!
I was told that dreams were our heart’s desires. My nightmares, however, became my obsession.
His name is Michael Crist.
My boyfriend’s older brother is like that scary movie that you peek through your hand to watch. He’s handsome, strong, and completely terrifying. The star of his college’s basketball team and now gone pro, he’s more concerned with the dirt on his shoe than me.
But I noticed him.
I saw him. I heard him. The things that he did, and the deeds that he hid… For years, I bit my nails, unable to look away.
Now, I’ve graduated high school and moved on to college, but I haven’t stopped watching Michael. He’s bad, and the dirt I’ve seen isn’t content to stay in my head anymore.
Because he’s finally noticed me.
Her name is Erika Fane, but everyone calls her Rika.
My brother’s girlfriend grew up hanging around my house and is always at our dinner table. She looks down when I enter a room and stills when I am close. I can always feel the fear rolling off of her, and while I haven’t had her body, I know that I have her mind. That’s all I really want anyway.
Until my brother leaves for the military, and I find Rika alone at college.
In my city.
The opportunity is too good to be true, as well as the timing. Because you see, three years ago she put a few of my high school friends in prison, and now they’re out.
We’ve waited. We’ve been patient. And now every last one of her nightmares will come true.
Have you read Corrupt? What did you think? Any other books like this one you think I should read?